Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Storm

I hope my professors don’t read this. If they do, im sorry, but I had to relieve myself of school life for one day of snowboarding. That’s because this entire season has been terrible for snow conditions. However this past week the most amazing double hitting storm came our way.
Tuesday brought about predictions of snow and rain for most of the northeast, however as most storms have been going, this one turned to rain as well. Except in the peaks of the White Mountains. Namely mount Washington and its surrounding peaks. By Thursday they had received a foot and a half of snow, excellent conditions for any snow enthusiast. By Thursday I decided it was time to cancel my weekend plans and hit the slopes. I drove up to a friend’s house to spend the night not knowing about the absolute devastation on the way.
As we got psyched (excited) for Friday’s 3ft of snow powder day, the wind started to pick up. Soon enough the power went out. It’s a good thing we had a wood fireplace, otherwise we would have froze.
I woke to a very rainy 5am sky. Trees and branches were everywhere. It was pretty bad, however not nearly bad as what lay in wait for me back home in Gloucesta. We however proceeded unhindered by the rain, lack of power, and tree filled streets. By 8am we arrived to the most epic day of snowboarding at Wildcat Mountain. While everyone else (and that includes northern VT) got rain, Wildcat received 3.5 FEET of snow. To make a long story longer, we had the most amazing day of snowboarding ever. That day was ranked the number one value of the Century. We paid 9 dollars to ski 8 hours in snow above our knees. I got stuck once and couldn’t see my waist. Thirty minutes later I was panting and sweating down the mountain.
Anyways, enough about the awesome time I had while the rest of you poor souls were studying math and whatnot. When I arrived back in Gloucesta I realized how amazing the storm had really been. In my opinion, only a few storms in the past 50 years have done more damage than this one. Outside my house once stood 2 huge (2-3 story) pine trees. They now lay across a nearby parking lot. The same is true for about 100 other trees in the area. All knocked down, roots and all, because of the extreme 85mph winds and supersaturated ground. Then there was the damage my amazing 4star motel received, (which I’ve been fixing ever since) roofing and trees everywhere. At least the vista motel is still intact. That can’t be said one of the motels on the backshore, whose entire roof came off (more business for us). All in all, the storm did some serious damage and left 229,000 residents without power. To bad for them, I had an awesome time snowboarding.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Josh
    I think taking the time to do something you love was a good call... Glad you had fun before the storm reality hit See you soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is entitled to a day off Josh! Glad you enjoyed yours!

    ReplyDelete