Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Perfectly Good Heart

During this winter break, I decided to go through some old "rubbish" I had laying throughout my disaster of a bedroom. Within my room I found things from my previous years of high school. Old projects, homework assignments, pictures and letters from friends (and exes) that brought back many memories, good and bad. While rummaging through the clutter I realized that high school was a truly grueling experience for me. For the four treacherous years that I was at Stoneham High School, I went through hell and back. Whether it was with teachers, friends, stress or just the overwhelming realization that what I did in high school would ultimately have a huge impact on the rest of my life. I struggled with my acne and self esteem, confiding in writing and music. I found comfort in friends who turned into enemies and realized that life is not always fair. I no longer let these memories haunt me. Instead, I learn from them and I decided to move on from it by discarding some of these items...

Although I got adequate grades in high school, I never felt that I was smart or somewhat of a good student until I got into the Presidential Scholars Program at NSCC. The effect the program has had on my life has been amazing and I have met some of the most wonderful people in the world. I feel like I have finally felt a place where I can be myself. I had a big personal break through at the last meeting when I came out as being bisexual, something I have struggled with for many years because of not being accepted for it by certain friends and family. The encouragement and feeling of weight being lifted off my shoulders was enormous and a great life changing experience.

I wish I could be flawless, perfection at its greatest. But I know that I am just a girl who grew up in a small town twenty minutes north of Boston with the perfectly good heart full of love and a back bone stronger than concrete. I am proud of who I am and what I have accomplished. NSCC and the people I have met have made me see how much I am able to accomplish and overcome in such a short amount of time. I am a hard worker and believe that as a person I have changed for the better. I am on a road to better and greater things. My first semester of college has taught me to leave the bad and grab onto the good. Your past should not make you into who you are going to be. I get to choose who I want to be and who I want in my life along for the journey into my new beginning.




3 comments:

  1. This is an articulate, heartfelt piece, and it gave me chills to read... I am proud of your forthrightness and your insight. We are proud to have you as one of our Scholars. You are well on your way on your journey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has seen your journey first hand, you SHOULD be proud. You've really come a long way in just a short time. It's been great to see. NSCC is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joanne and Chris. You both have helped me tremendously these past few months. I look forward to moving on in my quest to fulfill my dreams and aspirations. I hope that I can help others in their own journeys with my insight and guidance.

    ReplyDelete