Friday, October 23, 2009

PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLARS AND OTHER GROUPS

PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLARS AND OTHER GROUPS
Does anyone know what a Presidential Scholar is, or what the Presidential Scholarship Program is? Most people don’t. As a Presidential scholar, I represent the school at various events on and off campus. Also as a scholar, I have a requirement of attending a certain number of events each semester. This can be difficult with academics, extra-curricular activities, and work. Some of the events require not only attendance at certain things to represent the school, but active participation. For instance, I was invited to speak at an incoming student orientation in front of a large crowd. I was also encouraged to put together a small presentation at a local Rotary Club meeting. The events are a lot of fun, and are great opportunities! The scholars are given a reward for participating in this program, but above all, not everyone is invited to a Chamber of Commerce breakfast! It’s pretty neat!

To get into the program, I had to obviously apply, and put together an essay, or personal statement. In addition to this, I had to get recommended by staff members from my high school and have a certain grade point average. My goal is to eventually provide more awareness for this program, and for other students to realize that as Presidential Scholars, we help to keep North Shore’s reputation alive in the perspective of advertising how the college is full of opportunity. Another goal of mine being a Scholar, is to promote the Spark Literary magazine. Many students just don’t know about it! There are so many students that have an abundance of talent in writing, poetry, and art. Anyone ever submit to the magazine before? With any questions or submissions, please email
SPARK@northshore.edu.
 
With all of this in mind, does anyone have any ideas for a new club or group? Share your ideas by commenting! :)
-Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Advertisement, Advertisement, Advertisement! The Student Government is struggling with the same issues of being recognized on campus! maybe an opportunity will present itself that we could work together on a project! Oh, and I am about to submit my photography to SPARK! I was published last year and I am hoping to make it in this year as well. It was such an honor for me to sit in President Burtons office at the unveiling of the magazine! I can always be found in Student Life! Good Luck with your promotions. I know that the Scholars work very hard as I sometimes work closely with them in the office! If not in person, through phone calls and even text messages! Kep up the god work, and lets work together to brng awareness of our organizations to NSCC! I hope you figured out who this is, if not stop in SL in Danvers and lets exchange ideas on promotions of our interests! : )

    ReplyDelete