Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Promient Dean

As a Presidential Scholar, I get asked to go to many different events on and off campus. These events can range from open houses, to chamber breakfasts and to special events that don't occur often. Today, I went to a event that is very near and dear to everyone at North Shore's hearts: a welcome dinner for the accreditation team that will be accrediting North Shore over the next few days. This event was very interesting in many ways, because going into the doors at the Sheraton, I had no idea what to expect. After walking around for a few minutes, I finally found the reception and met up with President Burton and the accreditation team, I was introduced to several members of the team and made small talk with them, comparing North Shore to their colleges. It was interesting to hear about various programs and events they have or about their expansions/renovations. As we started to come together to break bread, I saw a seat open at the table with a prominent Dean at the college at decided to take a seat next to him, and get to know him quite well. Turned out, that was my smartest decision of the night, besides turning down the fried chicken at dinner. This prominent Dean, happened to be quite the interesting character. I knew very little about him before I sat down next to him, and walked out feeling like I had just made a friend on the spot. This Dean, who holds three degrees from Ole Miss, was a great resource to discuss every aspect of school, and the future. This Dean projected a very important point to me: no matter what you get degrees in or take classes in, you never know where you will end up.

4 comments:

  1. so you got to go to the dinner before the lunch? cool stuff. i think the lunch went pretty well, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i know who you're talking about, and i agree. He's a really cool guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Student Government SenatorNovember 6, 2009 at 9:03 PM

    Lloyd?

    ReplyDelete