Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Procrastinating Through the Day- an Introduction to the NSCC Blog

To start off I would just like to say to anyone reading this, welcome to the first NSCC Blog. My name is Ortiz. The whole idea of this blog page was to try and get students connected, and for future /prospective students the opportunity to see what it’s really like in NSCC, not just what the pamphlets tell you. And so to start things off I thought that whoever might be reading this would probably want to know a little bit about myself and what I’m suppose to be doing at the college.

I’ve always been a person who likes to do things with my hands. Whether it be legos, chairs, robots, kitchens, or houses, I liked to build it. I am also a Maintenance Worker/ Landscaper. Therefore I knew I wanted to pursue a vocation. I ended up choosing the Energy Utilities Program here at NSCC for a variety of different reasons, the major ones being cost, location, and it was one of few focused, hands on programs. So the one year E.U.T certificate fit the bill (more information about E.U.T can be found on the main website). Anyways that being said, I would like to let everyone know what a day in the life of a nscc student is like.



6.00 AM
Adjusting to a 6 am wakeup isn’t the easiest, but I begrudgingly start my day and get ready for the hour long trip to the Lynn campus. Some days I pack a lunch, some days I’m just to lazy and will have to buy a $3-5 lunch later.
6:52 AM
Drove across Gloucesta to get to the train. I hop on and pay the $7.00 round trip fair. I’m considering getting a charly card. As we start off I think of all the readings I should have done the day before, unfortunately for me, I’m and extreme procrastinator and decide that watching the scenery is better.
7:50 AM
As I arrive in Lynn I decide that I should have done my work and plan to do it the next time. I have 4 classes today ( on Fridays I only have 2) and they begin at 8:00 Am and last till 2:10. So ill go through each one quickly.
Computers:
Judging from the book that I skimmed, this class seemed real easy. However as the teacher starts to talk about how the internet exactly works and hexadecimal languages, I realize I better start taking notes. Unfortunately I decide that listening is sufficient. Some days it ends up being ok and some days it’s a nightmare to even try to keep up with this entirely new language that my teacher/program leader is talking in. for the most part though, its works out.
Intro to Energy Utilities
Its a fun class with a teacher who isn't a real teacher, he's just doing this for retirement, and so he makes it fun and easy. unfortunately the class includes history of electricity and economics of the Electric power industry. in the end, lots of movies and lots of crazy lectures make it a nice class. the teacher also helps us understand any other classes
Science of DC/AC
a relatively simple class made confusing by my computer teacher/program leader. its a good thing our other teacher helps us out. a few formulas such as p=iv and v=ir can get you through most of the chapters.
Mathematics
we started out with basic algebra which is relatively simple stuff (although my perspective as a slight math wiz is bias). however the teacher is making things so complicated. its gotten to the point where she says something , and then i redistribute the information to my classmates in the back of the class. this class is LONG (around 2 hours) so its a lot of math to take in each time.
2:50 PM
Well, i made it through the day, and am now waiting for the train, which is only a block away. while i wait i decide to study, but end up getting distracted by the interaction of pigeons and people. then i jump on the train and enjoy the scenery (should have been doing my homework) on the way home
4:00 PM
I shot over to work and am now doing some awesome landscaping here at the Vista motel (www.vistamotel.com = best motel on cape ann). gotta work for a few hours at-least so i can afford living (which costs a lot btw).
7:30 PM
Finally get home and decide that i deserve an hour of mindless TV brain sucking, after all i can just do my homework tomorrow....


3 comments:

  1. Wow, you certainly have a long day. I think that you are in an accelerated program of study considering that you are going to have your certificate in one year. Oh and get your homework done : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does become long when you factor in work and homework. its true that the program is very focused and job oriented. however i think ill just save my mounting math problems for another time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, how many classes are you taking? four? i have friends that commute to salem state, are required 6 classes, and work 40 hours a week. it's hard being a commuter.

    ReplyDelete