Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Freedom of Choice

We live in a country that within reason lets people do whatever they want. Some choose to smoke cigarettes, which is perfectly fine. No one individual can stop you from smoking are they responsible for you increasing your chances of cancer. But smokers have a responsibility to be thoughtful of people who are non smokers, and to their wishes to not have to be too close to second hand smoke. A few weeks ago I found myself walking through a mushroom cloud of smoke at one of the entrances of the school and due to inclement weather, the smokers all wanted to stay dry. Is this fair? Absolutely not. Although their is not a designated smoking area on North Shore property, the smoking crowd needs to be placed in their own isolated area (I know of a few colleges that have smoking "gazebos" that students can go to and smoke and be away from the general public) or smoking needs to be outlawed all together on campus. To add a little fuel to the fire, the smoking crowd toss their filters into when they are done are total eye sores, and the worst part is some students don't even use them. I found myself enjoying some warm weather recently, and was sitting on the ledge which is abutted directly with grass and saw a insane amount of filters just sitting their. Change needs to happen, and it needs to happen soon. If you are a student who feels the same way, find someone on the Student Government, and voice your concerns.

2 comments:

  1. WOW. Brendan. We must think alike because I post, then read the blogs. This is like the second time this has happened.--My blog is about sort of the same area/topic. Not going to happen next time... but I agree with you 100% about the smoking issue.
    I also can't stand when people have their cigarettes and cigarette boxes/carton.. whatever they are called out before they leave the building. I've even seen some people have a cigarette resting on their ear while walking around the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night while leaving the college I too was engulfed by a cloud of smoke from about 5 smokers. One lady's ashes almost fell on my pants leg. It blows my mind that something that has been proven to kill 1,000 people a day (both smokers and non-smokers) is not moved to an area that would be better for everyone all around. Both my grandfather's died from lung cancer due to smoking, so I'm for fighting it all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete